I love Buffalo Wild Wings boneless wings but I can’t usually afford to go unless it’s Thursday, and even then I can’t usually afford to go. I crave that Honey BBQ sauce so much that I have developed a recipe that I believe is pretty darn close!
Here’s what you need to make the boneless wings:
About 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (I usually get tenderloins and then cut each piece into 3 sections)
1 cup Flour
1.5 teaspoon Salt
3/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 cup milk
Vegetable Oil (enough to fill a pot just deep enough to put wings in)
Instructions to make the boneless wings:
1) Cut chicken breasts into small chunks. Try your best to get them about the same size.
2) Whisk together 1 cup milk and 1 egg in a bowl.
3) Pour at least 1 cup of flour in a medium bowl. Spice with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Stir together.
4) Dip the chicken chunks into the milk/egg and then toss into the flour bowl. Repeat this again so the wings get double covered. Put the wings on a baking sheet covered with wax paper.
5) Refrigerate for about 30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes, heat the vegetable oil in a pot. You want the oil to reach 375 degrees. I usually heat it on medium until I see ripples and then I know it’s hot. I then turn the heat down a little. Be careful! You do not want the oil to crackle and pop because then it shoots all over the place when you put the chicken in! (Learned the hard way the first time)
6) Put the chicken in the oil. These will not take long to cook, about 5 minutes in small batches, so stay close. Once the wings are floating the chicken should be cooked through. I keep them in the oil until the breading is a nice golden brown.
7) Set boneless wings on paper towels to cool. I toss them in a bowl and pour the sauce in and shake them around.
Honey BBQ Sauce:
I would make this in advance or when the chicken is resting in the fridge.
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup White Vinegar
1/4 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Honey
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
1) Combine ketchup, vinegar, molasses, and honey in saucepan. Set stove on medium heat while combining ingredients.
2) Season with liquid smoke, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Don’t worry if you don’t have all of the seasonings. You should at least have the salt and pepper though!
3) Stir well and reduce the heat to low. Leave uncovered to simmer for about 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! Check back for some of their other great sauces! If you change anything and find that it makes a better version, please leave your changes in the comment section!
Do you like this recipe? Try some of my others!
You can also try my version of Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce here.